Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Yesterday, we had a bit of a scare. My hand started to swell and become sore over the weekend. I even had to start taking the Percocet again starting on Sunday. I made an appt to see the ortho hand doc to check out my hand and check to see if an abcess was forming. He didn't think there was an abcess and picked off my scab (ewwww). He suggested that I see the ID guy since I may need a different antibiotic. The ID doc saw me right away and he freaked me out. He was very concerned that I was developing compartment syndrome. This would mean hospitalization and hand surgery. He started me on Clinda (oral) three times daily for 7 days and extended my IV Rocephin for another 7 days. he said he was puzzled as to why this was happening. I did have a rash all over my trunk over the weekend (now gone). He was not sure what that was all about either.

I was concerned because Chase started getting what looked like zits on his face, ear and hand. I showed the ID guy and he of course told me to show my pediatrician. Most adult guys won't touch kids. He said he takes pustules very seriously in children and Chase needed to be seen right away! So I made an appt with Dawn Andrew, his pediatrician. Before I had Chase, I worked with her at the hospital. She was a hospitalist at APH. Well, Dr. Andrew made me feel so much better about my condition. She knew more than the ID guy!!! She told me the rash was from the strep and that my new antibiotic regimen should do the trick. She also told me that Chase did not have pustules and that it was likely bug bites! Phew!!!

I got my dressing on my PICC line changed today. They do it once per week. For all you non medical people out there, a PICC line is an IV access that is permanently on my arm until I am finished with IV antibiotics. It goes in my arm directly to my superior vena cava (heart). Scary. You have to be very careful and clean when dealing with the line. I am looking forward to getting this line OUT!!!

3 doctors appts in one day is more than I ever want to do again. I now have a deeper understanding of what my patients go through. It sucks!!!

Thanks for all your prayers, phonecalls, flowers, gifts and well wishes. Keep praying. I am feeling better today than yesterday. It doesn't feel like I have acid on my hand anymore and I have not taken Percocet yet today. I think this Clinda has really turned things around. Praise God! I will keep you updated. I go to ortho and ID docs again on Thursday.